Murom Monastery of St. Assumption

Murom Monastery of St. Assumption
Region Pudozhsky
City / settlement Gakugsa

It is on the eastern coast of the Onego lake, on a narrow strip of the ground, which is a kilometer wide, between two lakes - vast Onego and small Murom. From one end this place is limited with a channel, which connects the lakes, from the other one - with bogs, so it is possible to get to the monastery only by water. It used to be a road through the bogs, but was destroyed with time. A pedestrian can probably get to the monastery, but it is impossible to drive there. It creates especial difficulty for the restoration of the Murom monastery.

The monastery was founded in XIV century after the Novgorodian bishop Vasiliy came to the Reverend after his death. The Reverend told the Byzantian monk Lazar to crate a monastery.

In 1786 the monastery was reorganized into a female monastery, and in 1787 it was abolished. It was restored in 1867 with assigning of staff of 7 monks without a manual from the treasury. There was a house for poor people in it. The revival of the monastery is connected with the name of rich patron Mr. Malokroshechnyi, who donated 12 thousand rubles.

In the monastery there were stone churches of the Assumption of the Virgin with two side-chapels: the Chapel of Christmas of Joann the Baptist and of Reverend Joann Rylskiy, which was built in 1866; and the Chapel of all Saints, which was consecrated in the same year. The monastery was surrounded with a stone fence. It owned 36 acres 1679 sazhens of plough-lands.

After the Soviet power came to Karelia the property of the monastery was confiscated, and there were the courses for farmers on its territory. In 1919 a commune of Trotskiy was organized there. The order about its closing was accepted on August 30 1930. After 1945 the house of the invalids was here, from the middle of 60-is the place was empty.

For a long time the ancient church of the resurrection of Lazar was deserted. Only in 1954 the architect Opolobnikov made the project of restoration of the cathedral, in which he planned to leave a small altar of the XVI century. In 1959 the church was disassembled and moved to Kizhi, where it was restored under the project of the architect. The cathedral became "a pearl of the exposition " and has got in the list of museum relics as the most ancient monument of wooden architecture in the territory of Russia.

The revival of the monastery began in January 1991. By the end of XX century white walls of the Cathedral of Assumption and the frame of the church of All Saints are well kept. Now the winter church of St. Nicholas and a refectory are reconstructed. The protective chapel above the Church of Lazar was remade into a summer cathedral, and the belfry was restorated (on the picture below). The monastery is still the place of a strict secluded life.

Rambler's Top100 Яндекс.Метрика