According to the archaeological data primitive stems in the 4th millennium BC formed the first settlements on this territory. In 14th – 15th centuries Slavic people - the migrators from Novgorod, Ladoga and northeastern Russian realms, colonized these lands.

In 16th – 17th centuries the territory of the present-day Belomorsk was the border ground of Russia and that’s why it was exposed to the invasions of conquerors on repeated occasions. The reinforcement was built in settlement Suma (now – village Sumposad) by Solovetsky cloister in 1582 – 1585 to protect the borders of the state. This reinforcement became very influential formation of the northern Russia.

In 1702 the Osudareva road crossed the territory of the region. The legendary Petrovsky drag had its point of origin at the village Nutchha.

In 1931 –1933 the building of Belomorsko-Baltiisky Canal took place on the territory of the region. The last 19th gateway of Canal that opens an exit to sea is within the bounds of the city.

According to the Decree of Supreme Council dated 11.09.1938 in 1938 the old village Soroka, the industrial community of sawmill operators of Solunin on the right coast of the River Viga, the community of Canal attendants and the settlement of the railway station Sorokskaja were united and the new formation received the status of city and new name (Belomorsk).

In 1941 – 1944 during the time of the Second World War Belomorsk was the front capital of Karelian-Finnish SSR; the command posts of the Karelian front and partisan movement were situated there.

Nowadays Belomorsk is an administrative and cultural center of the region. The Belomorsk Regional Museum, the Museum of History of Village Shueretskoe and the song teams (Pomorsky national chorus (established in 1937), the folk group of village Sumposad) present the particular material and intellectual culture of the local population (pomors).

The largest accumulation in the eastern part of Russia of cliff pictures of Zeolite age (petroglifs) was discovered in the outskirts of Belomorsk. The monuments of primitive art (“Devil’s Steps”, “Zalavruga” and “Erpin Pudos” groups) dated of 4th -3rd millennium BC are appertained to the unique cultural and historical treasures of Northern Europe. The culture, economy and ordinary life of immemorial population of the White Sea are repulsed in petroglifs. The value of petroglifs as the monuments of human thought is exceptional.

Solovetskije islands are situated on the distance of 70 km from Belomorsk. The regular communication by the motor vessel from the Belomorsk Sea Port is organized to convey the tourists.

Statistic data:
City of regional submission (Belomorsky region, the Republic of Karelia)
The date of foundation: 1938
Status of city since: 1938
Phone code: 81437*****
Deflection from Moscow time, hours: 0
Latitude: 64˚30΄
Longitude: 34˚42΄

туристский портал

Rambler's Top100 Яндекс.Метрика